The rental search can be tough. The move can be even tougher. Both can get even more complicated when a pet is involved, but we have put together a list to make renting in Charleston with your furry friend a whole lot easier…
FIND A PET-FRIENDLY RENTAL IN CHARLESTON
- Look for features that will make life with your pet easier (fenced in yard, a neighborhood that is well suited for walking, etc.).
- Confirm that your prospective rental accepts pets and check for size restrictions.
- Create a “pet resume” that includes vaccination documentation, references from past landlords/neighbors, etc.
PREPARE YOUR PET FOR THE MOVE
- If you will be using a pet carrier on moving day, bring it out and let your pet get used to it over the course of a few days/weeks.
- Don’t pack favorite toys or comfort items in boxes. Keep them close at hand with other necessity items (food, treats, food dishes, etc.).
- If you will be traveling via plane, check with the airline regarding specific policies and documents that may be required. Talk to your vet about a sedative if your pet is a nervous traveler.
REDUCE PET STRESS ON MOVING DAY
- Moving day is stressful for everyone, and your pet will feed off of your energy. Try to keep their routine as normal as possible.
- Pick a safe place for your pet to stay (like a bedroom or bathroom) while there is a lot of in and out traffic. Make sure friends and family know to keep your pet confined.
- If you are particularly anxious on moving day, boarding your pet may be a good option.
- Keep your pet confined (in a carrier or small room) at your new home until things are calm and orderly.
- Make setting up a pet-friendly space (with familiar toys, bowls, etc.) a priority.
- Treat your pet to something special. Consider visiting a local dog park… Charleston (Downtown, James Island, North Charleston and West Ashley) has some great ones to choose from!
BE HAPPY RENTING
If you are searching for a pet-friendly rental in the Charleston area, please contact us to learn more about our pet policy and available listings.